Nov 14, 2011

Gwen Hayes - Author Interview: Teen/Young Adult Author

What kinds of fiction did you read as a teenager, and did you have some favourites?

I went through a brief phase with the Sweet Valley High series as a teen, but there wasn't as much YA back in the olden days (1980s) so I moved right on to Stephen King, Danielle Steel, and V.C. Andrews. And, oh my goodness, we passed around Judith Krantz novels like they black market goods. So not appropriate for our age group.

Would you say your reading as a teenager has had a distinct influence on how you write fiction now, and why?

Actually, I wish I had read more books about people my own age a teen.

I'm not sure if there was a distinct influence on my writing during that time period--I'm more inclined to think that all the reading I have ever done has influenced my writing and continues to do so. The art and craft of storytelling is learned through exposure to storytelling in all its forms. Even terrible books can be a wonderful influence. Once you point out what isn't working for you while reading it, the less likely you will be to repeat the mistake.


What did you do before you became a published teen/young adult novelist, and how did you come to write your first teen/young adult novel and get it published?

I still am a bookkeeper for a small company.

I'd always been interested in writing, but it wasn't until 2007 that I decided to really pursue it. I began writing romance, but had a story percolating in my head that I knew was about teens. That story still sits on my hard drive--but it taught me a lot.

I wrote a couple other stories, but I knew when I started Falling Under that it was special. I began writing it in the spring of 2009, acquired my agent in September, and we sold it in December of that year. The book came out four years to the date that I joined a writing forum because I promised myself to try to be a published writer.

How would you describe your style of teen/young adult fiction or your approach to writing teen/young adult fiction?

I try to be honest with the characters and let them tell the story, even when that means they do things I wish they wouldn't. As a mother (of teens) sometimes it's hard to resist mothering my characters. For instance, if my daughter wanted to date a boy like Haden, we'd have words.

I don't want to teach lessons or preach to my readers, but I think that taking a character through his or her triumphs and failures naturally imparts some wisdom because the characters is learning life lessons. And if I've done my job well, the reader is living vicariously through my character, and will learn something about themselves through the experience--even if that something is "Don't date a demon."

Who is another author whose teen/young adult fiction you admire and why?

I am eagerly awaiting Sarah Ockler's new book, which comes out the same day as mine on January 3rd. I really love her voice and I always want to grab her protagonists into a big hug because they feel so real. She's fantastic.

How would you summarise one of your teen/young adult novels in one paragraph?

Dreaming Awake (releases January 3, 2012)

When Theia Alderson first encountered a mysterious, handsome boy in her dreams, she never imagined how finding Haden Black—and falling in love—could change her life. To save Haden, Theia sacrificed everything. And the dangerous bargain she made could have lasting repercussions.

How would you describe the appeal of this novel to teen/young adult readers?

I think the appeal of my books are in the romance. I am unabashedly romantic, according to one my reviews, and I am perfectly fine with that. I love love. Despite all the other plot points in my novels, I always think of the main plot as the love story.

How would you summarise a chapter from this novel in one paragraph?

I don't want to give away any spoilers! How about....What do you do when you become what you fear most?

How would you describe the contribution this chapter makes to the novel?

Dreaming Awake explores what happens after the initial fall into love for Theia and Haden. It's about relationships when the real work kicks in. It's also about not losing yourself or your values when faced with adversity as much as not losing yourself when you become part of a couple. Also, there is danger and intrigue. Fun stuff! But the chapter itself is about facing your most flawed self and either changing or accepting it.

To what extent would you say fiction written primarily for young readers is different from fiction written primarily for adult readers?

The only thing that should be different about writing fiction for young adults is the age of the protagonist. If writers are "writing down" or even watering down their fiction to sell it to the young adult market, they are doing it wrong. So, the real question is: How is writing a teen protagonist different from writing an adult protagonist? From my experience, teens live closer to the surface of their impulses and emotions than adults because they don't have as many experiences that have jaded them yet. Everything is more intense before you learn to proceed with caution. So I've had to let the character act in a way that feels irrational to me, but natural for them.

Author website: www.gwenhayes.com

Kobo ebooks Visit Powells.com

No comments:

Post a Comment