Nov 12, 2011

Michael Parker - Author Interview: Story

Pick one of your favourites among your published fiction stories or a story which is an interesting example of published fiction. What makes this story one of your favourites or an interesting example from your fiction?

THE DEVIL’S TRINITY. This was an attempt of mine to write a thriller about international terrorism. But instead of using the standard technique of suicide bombers etc. I used an entirely different approach in that I involved techniques that would be almost improbable, but maybe not impossible that could achieve an effect more harmful and cataclysmic than 9/11.

What genre(s) do you consider this story primarily to be, or how would you describe this story?

Thriller

What is a published fiction story by another author you would compare this story to and why are they similar?

I can’t think of another author with whom I could compare this novel, but I would put my work in the same league as Frederik Forsyth, Stephen Leather and other similar writers.

To what extent did you use any pre-existing story formula, template, paradigm, plot design, archetype, or theory or principle of story/plot structure in planning, writing, editing or rewriting this story?

I don’t. I get an idea and just build on it, using research to help me achieve a story.

How would you describe the first chapter, scene or section of this story in one paragraph?

A yacht is rammed in the middle of the night by a ship carrying no lights: a ship that is not under power but deliberately stopping. I would describe that as ‘chilling’.

What makes this chapter, scene or section an effective opening for this story?

It is this kind of opening that makes a reader want to know how I plan to elaborate on what could appear to be an impossible situation. A page turner!

What major stages, twists or turns does the story conflict take in this story before the conflict is resolved (or not resolved)?

I like to include parallel dramas if I can which help to add the twists and turns that hold a reader’s attention.

How would you summarise the major sub-plot or sub-plots in this story? If this story has no sub-plots, how would you describe the main sub-plot or sub-plots from one of your favourite published fiction stories by another author?

I couldn’t summarise them, they are simply essential to the fabric and build-up of the story.

What does the story gain from the sub-plot or sub-plots?

It gains immeasurably providing there is the right balance between the plots.

To what extent would you describe your story discussed here as typical or atypical of your fiction stories?

Typical.

Author website: www.michaeljparker.com

Kobo ebooks Visit Powells.com

No comments:

Post a Comment