Dec 25, 2011

Cameron Trost - Author Interview: Short Story Writer

What kinds of fiction did you read as a child and teenager, and did you have some favourites?

I went through different periods of obsession as a child. From the age of nine or so, an older brother let me borrow his Doctor Who novels and for a couple of years I would read nothing else. He then convinced me to read The Hobbit and unintentionally led me to become obsessed with the fantasy genre. I got tired of imaginary worlds at some point in time and discovered mystery fiction – I think the Encyclopedia Brown series was my introduction to this genre. Mystery fiction, and later horror, became my solid favourites from my late teenage years. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s tales (including but not limited to Sherlock Holmes) were and continue to be my favourite works of fiction. His characters are intriguing and I love his succinct yet evocative writing style.

Would you say your childhood and teenage reading has had a distinct influence on how you write fiction now, and why?

There is no doubt that my childhood and teenage reading has had an effect on how I write. However, I feel that my adult reading has had a far greater influence. My favourite short story writers include Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allan Poe, Ambrose Bierce, H.G. Wells, Guy de Maupassant, Jules Verne, Algernon Blackwood, H. P. Lovecraft, Agatha Christie, Ruth Rendell, Reginald Hill, Christopher Fowler, J.G. Ballard, Roald Dahl, Stephen King and Jeffery Deaver. I know that many people would disagree with this but I think that these writers are masters of the short story and that their novels come second to their shorter works. People who have read my stories often tell me that they think I have a similar writing style to one or more of these writers. Since several of them wrote more than a century ago, maybe that just means that my style is a bit old-fashioned. Nevertheless, I can only take such suggestions as great compliments.

Pick one of your favourites among your fiction stories or a story which is an interesting example from your fiction. What makes this story one of your favourites or an interesting example of your fiction?

If I had to recommend just one of my short stories to a reader it would be “The Ritual”. This tale is one of my favourites for several reasons. Firstly, once I had the idea for the story and the twist at the end, the first draft almost wrote itself. Secondly, I then worked very hard on rewriting and editing the tale – more than I had worked on any short story ever before. Thirdly, it was published in the second edition of Midnight Echo, the official magazine of the Australian Horror Writers Association, and was my first work for which I was paid. Lastly, I just love it as a tale - it’s dark, strange, intriguing, atmospheric and disturbing.

Who is another author whose fiction writing you admire and why?

There are a lot of great Australian writers working hard on their fiction at the moment and creating great tales. The horror genre is very popular in this country and some great writers can be found on the Australian Horror Writers Association website. I’m particularly interested in suspense fiction and psychological horror and have recently read short fiction of this kind by Matthew Tait who self-published his collection “Ghosts in a Desert World” in 2011. His tales are atmospheric and his characters are strange. Reading his collection was like going on a road trip through haunted towns and deserted landscapes.

How would you summarise one of your short stories in one paragraph?

“Hoffman’s Creeper” (the title story of my forth-coming collection) is about a retired botanist whose love for his plants is unnaturally deep-rooted. He can relate to them and understand their needs yet he is incapable of forming authentic relationships with other human beings.

How would you describe the appeal of this short story to readers?

It is original - a rare example of “botanical suspense”. It is blurry - we’re not sure whether it’s a tale of psychological suspense or supernatural horror. The main character is absolutely freaky. It has a combination of adventure and quiet reflection. It’s rather disturbing.

How would you summarise a scene or sub-section from this short story in one paragraph?

Hoffman is in his greenhouse, watering his exotic plants. He is thinking about his ex-wife who left him many years ago. He tells his plants that he loves them because he knows that they will never leave him. They appreciate his love for them and thrive because of it.

How would you describe the contribution this scene or sub-section makes to the short story?

It helps define Hoffman as a character and gives the reader insight into his subsequent actions.

Do you aspire to primarily write novels in the future, or are you more interested in writing short stories, and why?

I have already written a novel: “Letterbox” (Naked Snake Press) and am slowly working on a second. I also write novellas. However, short stories are my priority because I find them particularly well-suited to the genres of horror and suspense and to my writing style.

Do you read many short story anthologies, and why?

I love anthologies – particularly when they are themed. They allow the reader to discover several writers and to explore different takes on one subject.

What lengths of short stories do you usually write, and why?

Sometimes I write according to submission guidelines and sometimes I submit according to the length of the story I’ve already written. I tend to write stories between five and seven thousand words.

Do you submit for many short story competitions, anthologies and magazines, and what are your main motivations for this?

I certainly do and the motivations are to reach a wider reading public and to have my work feature alongside that of other writers – that’s the “social” side of being a writer.

Author website: www.trostlibrary.blogspot.com

Kobo ebooks Visit Powells.com

No comments:

Post a Comment